What To Wear Horseback Riding on the Beach?
Spending time by the sea with your horse is a dream for many but what to wear horseback riding on the beach is a common question.
I’ve been lucky to experience beach horseback riding on many occasions.
As far as clothes go, it is a more casual type of ride, and I learned some great tips that I wanted to share with you.
So, let’s take a look at my guide to equestrian beach necessities.
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
Top Beach Riding Outfits at a Glance
7 Beach Horse Riding Clothing
While you don’t need any fancy riding clothes to ride on the beach, you still need to stick to the basics.
This means you need clothing that is safe for horseriding, provides you with protection and keeps you comfortable.
A helmet is one of the most important things need to wear. It doesn’t matter if you are a beginner rider or an experienced rider. Schooling or trail riding helmets are perfect for beach horseback riding.
Head injuries are always serious and sometimes catastrophic. Even the most bombproof horse in the world can spook or fall. There is a huge choice of riding helmets available from tack shops, many at reasonable prices.
The only main things you need to worry about are that the helmet is designed for equestrian use, has safety certifications, and it fits properly.
Other types of headgear, such as bike helmets are not suitable or safe for any type of horseback riding adventure.
For hot weather, a summer riding helmet with good ventilation is what I suggest. I find the Tipperary Sportage is ideal for the summer heat. It is lightweight and has lots of ventilation slots.
Check other Tipperary riding helmets.
- Contoured drop-back shell
- Comfort foam interior
- Flexible visor
- Rear reflective strip
If you’ve spent any time at the mean you know how important it is to protect your eyes. So much light reflects off the water and sand that it can irate your eyes.
The Equivisor Helmet Visor has a nice wide brim and fits more riding hats.
A good solution to protect your vision while taking part in this special activity is to stick a sun visor on your helmet. There are several equestrian helmet visor options, some are pretty cheap.
3. Long Pants
You don’t need to wear breeches for a beach ride. Though if you wanted to wear breeches that’s perfectly OK!
However, while proper riding pants aren’t necessary, you still need to wear long pants, with one exception which I’ll tell you about later. While it is tempting to throw on a pair of shorts for summer beach riding, I suggest avoiding this at all costs.
That is if you are using a saddle. Long pants protect your legs from the leather of the saddle or stirrup leathers rubbing. These rubs are really painful! Been there, don’t that. You’ll regret it.
If you are thinking of riding tights, Aubrion Ladies Dutton Tights, come in a fun beachy color and have a full seat.
Alternatively, if you’re looking for a comfortable pair of yoga pants, Heathyoga Yoga Pants come in lots of colors and are reasonably priced.
Though, if you plan on going in the ocean, jeans aren’t the best idea. If they get wet they are pretty uncomfortable and will take ages to dry.
RECOMMENDED: Places to Ride Horses On the Beach
Since you’re at the beach, you might think swimwear will do. However, it is not appropriate for a horseback ride on the beach. A bikini top is not going to provide you with much support when you go for a gallop!
The best type of shirt to wear is a lightweight sports top. Horse riding sun shirts are a great option. They are breathable, light, dry super fast, and provide UV protection.
And the Women’s UPF 50+ UV Protection Shirt for short sleeves.
T-shirts are also an option but I personally prefer a sports top since they are lighter and more comfortable if you get sweaty or wet from the water.
You might put less thought into what underwear to put on than the rest of your outfit. However, choosing the right undergarments can make your horseback riding experience much more pleasant.
I suggest women wear a sports bra, which is far more comfortable for horse riding than a regular bra.
The Aubrion Dagenham Sports Bra is designed for horse riders and is made with quick-dry fabric, perfect for the beach!
As for underwear, put on what is the most comfortable but a technical fabric is more suitable.
- What’s Included: 3 New Balance Women’s Performance Seamless Hipster underwear. These panties are available in multiple colors, patterns and designs. They come in the following sizes: X-Small (4-6), Small (6-8), Medium (10-12), Large (14), and X-Large (16).
- Ultimate Comfort: Made from a lightweight nylon/spandex blend, our seamless hipster underwear is stretchy, breathable, and durable! Our panties will eliminate odor and absorb moisture, keeping you fresh, cool, comfortable, and dry all throughout the day.
- The Fabrication: With a strong focus on comfort, performance and style, we have designed our Seamless underwear to have no showing seams or lines. With a 93% Nylon and 7% Spandex mixture, they will feel silky smooth but stays stretchy for any activity.
- Superior Design: The Performance Hipster features a tagless design and no side seamless design. It eliminates chafing while minimizing no show panty lines. The elastic waistband gives you the ultimate athletic freedom of movement and is great for sports!
- How to Wash: These undies are washer and dryer safe! Machine wash cold with like colors to maintain vibrant colors. Only non-chlorine bleaches when needed and be sure to tumble dry low. To keep our products in long lasting shape, we recommend not ironing.
Just because you are at the beach, it does not mean you can neglect to wear adequate riding boots. You don’t need to wear tall riding boots. Paddock boots or cowboy boots will do perfectly.
Saxon Ladies Syntovia Zip Paddock Boots are a great, cheap boot for both English and western riders.
Smoky Mountain Ladies Mesa Square Toe Boots have a pretty blue shaft that will have you styling on the beach.
- GENUIINE LEATHER BOOTS: Add style to your wardrobe with the Mesa series that are made of genuine leather for reliable and durable boots.
- SQUARE TOE DESIGN: The Mesa boot features a square toe with an intricate shaft design, man-made lining, navy crackle shaft, and distressed brown oil leather foot for a vintage, country appeal that can be dressed up or down on the occasion.
- COMFORTABLE WESTERN HEEL: These boots for women are made with a western heel that provides comfort no matter how long you are on your feet. They include a rubber sole that is ideal for all day wear.
- CRAFTSMANSHIP: Combining genuine craftsmanship, fashion, and durability together for an affordable price that cannot be beat. Smoky Mountain Boots has selections available for men, women, and children for the whole family to mix or match their footwear.
- FAMILY OWNED & OPERATED: Smoky Mountain Boots is a family-owned business based out of the US that began in 1992. With a large selection of boots available, they offer the service and genuine made western products you deserve.
Don’t wear cowboy boots when riding in an English saddle as the boots tend to be too bulky for the stirrups.
One important safety consideration for horse riders I want to point out is that there are some types of footwear that you should never wear on horseback.
Don’t wear sneakers as they are too wide and the soles are too thick. It is very easy for your foot to get stuck in the stirrups. Also, avoid all types of open shoes, whether it be flip-flops or sandals. Stick to equestrian heeled boots.
They are not secure on your feet, have no heel to stop your foot from going through the stirrup, and if the horse steps on you, you are in for a serious injury.
There is a wide choice of suitable equestrian footwear including the most expensive horse riding boots.
Horse riding on the beach isn’t just for the summer, in some regions, it’s an outdoor activity you can enjoy year-round. For rainy, windy, or colder days, you will want a waterproof jacket to keep you dry.
The Ovation Ladies Ayleen Waterproof Jacket is designed for horse riders, is lightweight, and it’s breathable.
- 2-way reflective zipper for comfort and convenience
- Saddle protection behind all zippers to prevent scratching
- Articulated sleeves
- Detachable and adjustable hood
- Lycra inner cuffs
Check out this rider enjoying her first ride on the beach. Notice all the riders in the video are wearing appropriate clothes for horseback riding.
4 Accessories You Should Have When Riding Horse On Beach
In addition to your clothes, “what to wear horseback riding on the beach”, also requires some accessories.
If you don’t have a visor or, like me, have eyes that are really sensitive to light, stick on a pair of sunglasses. The type doesn’t really matter, so long as you like the style and they are comfortable.
They not only protect your eyes from UV light, but they also keep sand from blowing in your eyes.
Ray-Ban Classic Mirrored Aviator Sunglasses are a great option that will work with a riding helmet and for when you’re out of the saddle as well!
Wearing gloves when riding is a personal preference. I always wear them but some riders prefer bare hands. Gloves will help ensure that you don’t lose grip if your hands get sweaty.
I like OEQ Cool Mesh Gloves for the summer and they are quite cheap!
For colder weather, Roeckl Warwick Winter Unisex Gloves are worth considering.
- Suitable for any purpose and extremely elastic
- The backhand and palm are both made from Polartec Power Stretch Pro, a warm, soft and particularly elastic material.
- For added warmth, ROECKL SPORTS selected an especially heavy material quality. Equestrians will also love ROECKL?s exclusive COMFORT CUT.
- Thanks to this particularly slender and comfortable cut, trimming on the index finger is not required. Convenient and beautiful at the same time: the palm is elaborately siliconized with countless ROECKL logos, thus ensuring an ideal grip on the reins.
- The area between the ring finger and the little finger, which also comes into contact with the reins, has been siliconized as well.
Sunscreen is a must-have at the beach. It is easy to get sunburn without realizing and light reflections are stronger.
Banana Boat Ultra Sport Sunscreen Lotion is a popular product that has some water and sweat resistance.
- SUPERIOR ENDURANCE VS. SWEAT & WATER - from family fun to hardcore competition, our sunscreen provides strong sun protection that stays on so you can play on.
- CLINICALLY PROVEN - broad spectrum protection protects you from UVA/UVB rays.
- LIGHTWEIGHT, BREATHABLE FORMULA - non-greasy feel won't weigh you down.
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE SUNSCREEN - water & sweat resistant for up to 80 minutes.
- REEF FRIENDLY - made without oxybenzone or octinoxate.
If you are like me, you feel like you’ve lost an arm if your phone is not nearby. When riding, you will want to have your cell phone with you to take pictures and just have a way to contact someone if necessary.
AiRunTech Waterproof Pouch secures around your waist, is waterproof, and has room for other valuables.
Many riding pants have a cell phone pocket, which is one option. However, this might not be the most secure option for beach rides.
If you want another option a running belt, fanny pack, or belt pouch are secure hands-free ways to keep your phone close but safe. I suggest using a waterproof one.
Many clothes that are made specifically for equestrians are great for the beach, so check out what to wear horseback riding in the summer.
- Beach Accessories for Vacation Must haves: Waterproof Protection and Confident Impermeable! Triple zip lock protection up to 32 feet (10 meters) underwater. No worries of your valuables getting wet. Keep your phone and wallet perfectly dry and safe from a splash, a spill, or total immersion whether you're snorkeling, swimming, sailing, paddle boarding, tubing, kayaking, river rafting, water slides or water activities and the like!
- Beach Essentials: Extra Peace of Mind. The translucent pouch is Touch Screen Friendly, you are able to check msgs or text and talk if there was an issue, and protection your ID, cash, credit cards, passport in the opaque pouch, fully dive into your adventures without worrying about your valuables being stolen. Tips: The colorful and transparent waterproof pouch is Touch Screen Friendly except BLACK one.
- Beach Gear: Spacious Design for Maximum Storage Measuring: 8.5 inch x 5.8 inch. AiRunTech waterproof bags are extra deluxe & spacious, holds a lot, fits all large Smartphones below 7 inches & Your cash, credit cards, wallet, and car keys, etc, and if you get air trapped in it, it’ll float too.
- Beach Necessities: Practical, Adjustable and Comfortable Waist Pack. Easy adjust design to meet different waist size needs, it can fit the most waist sizes comfortably. (fits sizes: 33.5 inch- 42.5 inch), also can use as cross-body bag, or shoulder bag.
- Tips: 1. Before using it, please carry out a waterproof test on the product and check whether the product has damaged parts, particularly the seal function. 2. Make sure it is sealed properly before use it in the water.
The video shows you some good tips for carrying your phone on a horse.
What Not to Wear on Horseback Riding on the Beach?
While, what you can wear horseback riding on the beach is pretty flexible, there are some things you should never wear.
Never wear shorts if you are using a saddle. You will get sore on your legs from rubbing, and if you’ve ever had a saddle sore, you’ll know how painful they are.
However, remember I said earlier that there is one exception?
Well, that one exception is if you ride bareback. In this case, shorts are fine, especially if you go into the water.
Flip Flops or Sandles
Flip flops and sandals are not safe shoes to wear when horse riding as they are not closed-toe shoes.
They are not stable, lack a heel, and expose your foot. If you feel and the horse accidentally steps on your foot the result isn’t pretty.
Swimwear, especially bikinis are great for lounging on the sand but not for in the saddle.
Can I wear leggings horseback riding?
Yes, you can wear leggings horseback riding. They are more slippery in the saddle but suitable for casual horseback riding and beginner riders. Just make sure they are thick.
Can you go horse riding on your period?
You can absolutely go horse riding on your period. If you’re worried about leaks, some riders like to use period panties in addition to their regular products.
Can you wear sneakers for horseback riding?
No, never wear sneakers for horseback riding. It is very dangerous. Sneakers do not have the right type of heal and are too wide. Also, they have thick soles and can easily get stuck in the stirrups.
Do you have to wear jeans horseback riding?
No, you don’t have to wear jeans when riding a horse. In fact, many riders prefer wearing riding tights or breeches as they don’t bunch up or have seems in uncomfortable places.
Can you go horseback riding in shorts?
Generally, you should not ride in shorts and you will get saddle sores. However, when riding bareback it is ok to wear shorts.
Now you know what to wear horseback riding on the beach, so it’s time to go out and tick it off your bucket list!
One final tip about beach riding – make sure you do it on a sensible, experienced horse that copes with the beach well.
The beach can be a scary place for a horse. Many don’t like crashing waves, running people, and wide-open space can make them fresh!
What are your favorite outfits when riding on a beach? Let us know below!
Siun is an all-around animal lover, with a passion for horses. She grew up in the United States, competing in the hunters, equitation, and jumpers. Now living in Ireland, she competes with her own showjumping horses. She is experienced in the care and training of horses, as well as teaching riding lessons. She loves to combine her love for horses with her work. When not working, Siun will be found at the stables, rain or shine.
Find her on FACEBOOK
Read her latest ARTICLES.
Learn more about HER