Looking for the best turnout blanket for your horse?
The choice is overwhelming and I’ve gotten stuck down that rabbit hole more than once!
So, I decided to put together a guide to help you narrow down the choice to the very best.
I have 10 great picks for you.
Check: Best Light Horse Blankets
This post contains affiliate links. We earn a commission if you make a purchase at no extra cost to you.
Turnout Blankets for Horses Top Picks at a Glance
- Winner: HORZE Nevada Medium Weight 1200D Waterproof Horse Turnout Blanket
- Best Medium-weight Turnout Blanket: Tough-1 1200D Snuggit Turnout 300g
- Best Overall: WeatherBeeta Comfitec Classic Standard Neck Lite
- Best Budget Heavy Weight: Horze Nevada Heavy Weight 1200D Waterproof Horse Winter Turnout Blanket
- Best Premium Option: B Vertigo Georgina Medium Weight Turnout Blanket
Don’t have time? Here is a quick comparison of our favorites!
Top 10 Picks for the Best Turnout Blankets for Horses (Review)
One winter, our rescued, hot-blooded mare started visibly shivering, so our vet recommended turnout blankets for horses to keep her more comfortable.
Daisy was a much happier horse after that.
Whether you’re a seasoned horse owner or a beginner, there’s no denying that turnout blankets are an essential part of your horse’s gear.
These blankets are designed to protect horses from environmental elements such as dust, mud, and cold weather during the winter months.
Here are my top picks.
HORZE makes some amazing equestrian products – I am sure you may have used many of them.
This turnout horse blanket is superbly designed and is escape-proof – no horse can wriggle or chew its way out of it.
It comes with a 200-gram polyfill fill which makes it perfect for chilly, windy days and nights. The HORZE logo is also displayed boldly across the blanket.
- 1200 D ripstop nylon shell
- Quick close snap buckles
- Long shoulder gussets, removable tail, and leg flaps, and other adjustable features
- Available in 18 sizes and 5 colors.
Benefits & Drawbacks of HORZE Nevada Medium Weight 1200D Waterproof Horse Turnout Blanket
|Protects horses against the cold wind, rain, and snow||Leg straps are too long- a horse could step on them and snap them.|
|Allows a wide range of movement|
|No more sore shoulders due to longer gussets|
|Stylish and functional|
How it Compares
These are ideal medium-weight breathable blankets under $100 bucks. It is waterproof and well-made using a tough and durable material.
The double buckle closures are sturdy and the adjustable features like flaps and leg straps ensure a snug fit.
What Other Horse Parents Say About HORZE Nevada Medium Weight 1200D Waterproof Horse Turnout Blanket
Many equestrians love this waterproof blanket, just like this one – “I really like the materials and fit. The fabric is durable and mud is easily brushed off. It fits the horse well and so far the hardware has held up well.”
Check out this video about the rain sheet version, which is the same but with fewer grams of insulation.
#2 Best Medium-weight Turnout Blanket: Tough-1 1200D Snuggit Turnout 300g
Tough-1’s lightweight blanket is extremely popular and this is the one we chose for Daisy. They feature a snug-fit neck that makes them easy to size.
Moreover, their adjustable front closures, leg straps, and surcingles ensure that the blanket stays on the horse even if it rolls outside.
Daisy measures 74 hh but we purchased a 76 in this blanket as we were hoping she would gain some weight.
We purchased another Tough-1 blanket for our gelding and that one fit him extremely well too. Most users had no issues with sizing with Tough-1 Snuggit.
These types of blankets are warm and their adjustability features are truly wonderful.
Tough-1 are also waterproof horse blankets and hold up very well. Both our horses haven’t ripped them yet – despite being chewers!
Last but not the least, tough-1 winter turnout blankets come in a selection of colors and do not fade and they keep our horses looking stylish and elegant!
Check out some other top features of the Tough-1 Snuggit waterproof turnout blankets for horses.
- 1200 D nylon – D stands for the thread count – higher the better.
- 300 g polyfill
- Available in 4 sizes and 6 colors.
- 210 D poly lining
Benefits & Drawbacks of Tough-1 1200D Snuggit Turnout 300g
|High-quality best winter turnout blankets for horses||Expensive but you get quality|
|Durable and heavyweight|
|Value for money|
How it compares
There are many reasons why the Tough-1 Snuggit blankets are considered the best stable blankets for horses. They are durable and extremely well-made.
Also, they are warm and waterproof. The seamless design of the lightweight blankets offers extra protection for your horse in wet, cold weather.
What Other Horse Parents Say About Tough-1 1200D Snuggit Turnout 300g
Likefor me, this is a favorite with horse owners. “Great heavyweight blanket! Super adjustable, good quality leg straps, waterproof” – is just one of the many fantastic things equestrians have to say.
Learning how to put on winter horse blankets is a must. This video shows you how.
- 1200 Denier Poly, heavy material strength, recommended for horses that may bite or chew on blanket or horses turned out with a companion or in groups. Material may tear or rip if caught on a nail, rough fencing, or thorns from bushes.
- Adjustable neck easily adjusts to create a custom fit
- 300g Polyfill provides medium/heavy warmth and protection from wind and rain
- 210 Denier Poly lining prevents rubbing and helps to keep the coat shiny while preventing hair, shavings, and straw from sticking to the inside of the blanket
- Waterproof coated outer shell with taped seams and seamless spine repels water to keep your horse dry
#3 Best Budget Heavy Weight: Horze Nevada Heavy Weight 1200D Waterproof Horse Winter Turnout Blanket
HORZE makes such good quality, value for money turnouts I wanted to tell you about another option from their wide selection. This is the heavy-weight version.
It comes with 400 grams of polyfill making it perfect for the winter months. If you want an affordable winter turnout blanket, check this one out.
- 400g filling
- Double cross surcingles
- Long shoulder gussets
- 1200D ripstop material
- Long tail flap
Benefits & Drawbacks of Horze Nevada Heavy Weight 1200D Waterproof Horse Winter Turnout Blanket
|Extra warmth for cold winter temperatures||Runs a little small|
|Good freedom of movement||Neck cover separate|
How it Compares
This blanket is one of the most durable and warmest options. It is ideal for cold temperatures and wet weather.
What Other Horse Parents Say About Horze Nevada Heavy Weight 1200D Waterproof Horse Winter Turnout Blanket
Equestrians in the US Northeast know all about the need for additional protection in winter weather.
This Vermont horse parent says “Good value for a really nice quality blanket. Fits my draft well. No rubbing or pulling. Also keeps him a very comfortable temp in our crazy Vermont weather”
It is important that your equine turnout blankets fit well to prevent rubs. This means you need to get the right size. Check out this video to learn how to measure your horse for a blanket.
#4 Best Premium Option: B Vertigo Georgina Medium Weight Turnout Blanket
This is a superb premium medium-weight horse blanket that will keep your horse warm and dry in chilly weather.
It has extra-long shoulder gussets that provide your horse with the maximum amount of movement. It is one of the more innovative turnouts when it comes to ensuring a good, comfortable fit.
If you want something for cooler temperatures that won’t make your horse too hot, this is a great option.
- Large tail-flap
- 1200D Ripstop shell fabric
- 210T lining
- 250G polyfill
- With protection
- Long gussets for freedom
Benefits & Drawbacks of B Vertigo Georgina Medium Weight Turnout Blanket
|Amazing freedom of movement||Only one color choice|
|Removable neck cover|
How it Compares
If you don’t have to worry about the cost and want something that is high quality and can be used three seasons of the year, this option comes out above some other choices.
What Other Horse Parents Say About B Vertigo Georgina Medium Weight Turnout Blanket
“I was really impressed with the quality of this blanket throughout-lots of small details from the tail cord to the straps. The gusset is fantastic- my guy has an average warmblood build with a big shoulder and high withers. The gusset fit really well and I’m not concerned about shoulder rubs.”
If you own a long lasting horse blanket, you will have to reproof it every year to ensure no water leaks in. This video shows you how.
#5. Best Full Neck: WeatherBeeta ComFiTec Plus Dynamic II Detach-A-Neck Lite Maroon/Grey/White
- Triple weave outer shell
- 1200 denier
- Memory foam wither relief pad
- Quick clip front closure
- 220g polyfill
- Gusseted shoulders
Benefits & Drawbacks of WeatherBeeta ComFiTec Plus Dynamic II Detach-A-Neck
|Extra-large tail flap||Can slip on some horses|
|Wither protection||Can run small|
|Durable||Neck attachment is a little wide|
|Detachable neck cover|
How it Compares
WeatherBeeta’s assortment of turnout blankets are some of the best known. This is a medium weight so it is good for layering in extreme cold or during chilly fall nights.
These qualities make it one of the more versatile options.
What Other Horse Parents Say About WeatherBeeta ComFiTec Plus Dynamic II Detach-A-Neck
When talking to other equestrians, it’s easy to see how much they like this blanket.
“I’ve been buying various Weatherbeeta blankets for years. They’ve never let me down when it comes to fit and quality.”
“Great rug, really waterproof, versatile with detachable neck”
Learn more about ComFiTec blankets in this video.
- Outer: Super strong and durable 1200 denier triple weave outer shell with repel shell coating that is both waterproof and breathable
- Comfort: Memory foam wither relief pad that contours to the horse's shape and lifts the blanket off the wither to reduce rubbing and provide added comfort
- Fit:Quick clip front closure offering maximum adjustability & Elasticized, adjustable and removable leg straps for a secure and comfortable fit
- Fill: 220g of polyfill which is easily identified with the NEW WeatherBeeta temperature gauge badge
- Protective: NEW extra large tail flap for maximum protection & Reflective strips on front each side and tail flap for extra visibility
#6 Best Overall: WeatherBeeta Comfitec Classic Standard Neck Lite
WeatherBeeta is a popular name in the equestrian community. My friend uses these Comfitec blankets for her horses and she is very happy with her choice.
The Comfitec is 600D ripstop nylon while Tough-1 Snuggit has 1200 D.
However, my friend said that her horses have used the Comfitec turnout blankets over three winters and they haven’t ripped as yet.
Here are some of the features of WeatherBeeta waterproof turnout blankets for horses:
- 600 D ripstop outer shell
- 210 D polyester lining
- 100% boa fleece padding for warmth and comfort
- Tail flap, cross straps underbelly, surcingles, and shoulder gussets for adjustability.
- Available in many sizes and 2 attractive colors.
Benefits & Drawbacks of WeatherBeeta Comfitec Classic Standard Neck Lite
|Adjustable and lightweight||Some horses experienced a bit of chaffing with this blanket|
|Waterproof and breathable|
How it compares
WeatherBeeta’s Comfitect waterproof turnout blanket for horses is lightweight, warm, and with adjustable hind leg straps.
The thread count is slightly lower compared to our winning entry above. However, the price is also a lot lower.
What Other Horse Parents Say About WeatherBeeta Comfitec Classic Standard Neck Lite
“Lovely rug, fitted my cob. Tend to buy Weatherbeeta rugs as they are good quality”
“Waterproof and breathable with no filling. Perfect when the weather is mild but some protection is needed. Good quality and very robust.”
This rider prefers WeatherBeeta. Take look at her review of WeatherBeeta and why she chooses this brand here.
- Lightweight: This sheet offers the ideal weight and warmth during most fall/autumn days
- Padding: Features 100% Boa fleece at the wither to reduce rubbing and chaffing
- Waterproof: Outer material is made of a tough 600D ripstop fabric and water repel shell coating to keep rain and mud out
- Breathable: 210T polyester lining promotes airflow so your horse stays dry and comfortable
- Adjustable: Fully equipped with shoulder gussets, twin buckle front closure, removable leg straps, twin low cross surcingles, and a standard tail flap
Check: Best Horse Blanket Name Tags
#7 Best Budget Buy: Derby Originals Medium Turnout Blankets
In addition to its price, you will love Derby original turnout blankets for their no-hardware design. In fact; all the features in this functional turnout blanket are designed with your young horse’s safety in mind.
- 600 D nylon construction
- Double Velcro straps around the chest for easy adjustment
- Silky-soft, no-chafing, silky lining
- Available in 7 attractive and bright colors
- Reflective linings for easy visibility
Benefits & Drawbacks of Derby Originals Medium Turnout Blankets
|Durable and comfortable||Not for newborn foals|
|Value for money|
How it compares
Derby turnout blankets for young horses are affordable and well-designed. There are no buckles or hard snap closures that could hurt the young ones.
The Velcro straps are sturdy and help you fit the blanket easily around most foals. They are very well-made and durable.
What Other Horse Parents Say About Derby Originals Medium Turnout Blankets
“Got this for my senior miniature horse and it works perfectly. Fits excellently and has kept him toasty in cold weather and rain.”
“Fits my miniature donkey perfectly! Great price very nice product!”
Blanking a horse is a bit of an art. I found the tips in this video really helpful.
- DESIGNED WITH YOUR FOAL’S SAFETY IN MIND - our no-hardware foal and mini horse blankets have been tested extensively to ensure maximum safety, and are designed without hardware to prevent injury
- IDEAL FOR MOST CLIMATES - our 600D nylon blankets features a cozy 150g medium weight lining that is warm enough to protect your horse from the cold while our breathable exterior prevents overheating in mild weather
- ADJUSTABLE FIT DESIGNED FOR GROWING FOALS - this blanket was designed with a double velcro chest and belly wrap system that allows for these blankets to adjust by 6” in length and girth to accommodate growing foals or for use with multiple horses
- DESIGNED FOR MAX COMFORT - this blanket features a no-rub silky-soft 210T lining, a plush fleece wither protector, a removable tail cover, a padded belly band, and an adjust-to-fit-neck
- 1 YEAR LIMITED MANUFACTURER'S WARRANTY - this product is eligible for a 1 year warranty that protects against manufacturing defects. Normal wear and tear and accidents are not covered. To register your product warranty, visit Derby Originals' website
#8 Best Turnout Sheet for Fluctuating Temperatures: Amigo Horseware Mio Lite Turnout Sheet
Sometimes, your horse just wants a light turnout sheet in the rain – nothing too heavy that would make it sweat if the weather turns warmer.
Amigo Mio Lite is 0g lite and made for such fluctuating weather conditions for a comfortable blanket fit.
- 600 D polyester
- Double front surcingles, rump strap, tail flaps
- Classic fit with leg arches
- Available in 11 sizes and 2 colors
Benefits & Drawbacks of Amigo Horseware Mio Lite Turnout Sheet
|Lightweight||Some sheets were not very durable|
How it compares
For most users, the Mio Lite turnout sheet was ideal for mild weather and it kept the bugs and mud off. Being too thin, it might tear or rip easily. Its price is very attractive.
What Other Horse Parents Say About Amigo Horseware Mio Lite Turnout Sheet
“This turnout sheet is lightweight and great for wind block and rain sheet. Have purchased three, fit is great.”
“Love these sheets! This is the 5th Mio I’ve purchased for 3 different horses. I really like the tail strap vs leg straps”
Check out this video review of the Mio to take a closure look at this option for cool temperatures.
- Waterproof: 600D Polyester outer
- Closure: Classic double front closures
- Comfort: Front leg arches
- Lightweight: 0g Lite
- Secure: Cross surcingles
#9 Best Lightweight – Shires Highlander 100g Turnout Blanket
Shires Highlander weighs just 100 g and is perfect as a turnout blanket for early fall and late spring days.
Here are some noteworthy features of the Shires Highlander:
- The outer shell is made with 1200 D nylon
- 100g poly-filling
- The inner lining is made with Shire Tex – Shire brand’s patented material that absorbs sweat and prevents chafing.
- Chest strap rings, surcingles, shoulder gussets, and other adjustable elements.
- Available in aqua-lime and purple colors.
- Comes in 6 sizes from 69” to 84”
Benefits & Drawbacks of Shires Highlander 100g Turnout Blanket
|Anti-sweat sheets||Slightly expensive|
|Lightweight and comfortable||Straps holding the snaps are of fixed length. This could limit the adjustability|
|Breathable fit blankets|
|Allows greater freedom of movement|
|blanket with tail cover|
How it compares
Shires Highlander turnout durable blanket for horses is generously sized and very well-made.
Its detachable leg straps and tail straps are excellent features but the price is slightly on the higher side.
What Other Horse Parents Say About Shires Highlander 100g Turnout Blanket
“The blanket is of excellent quality and very generously sized (plenty wide enough for wide or tall horses). “
See the Shires Highlander in action here.
- 100g: This lightweight turnout blanket provides additional warmth and protection during most fall/autumn days
- Waterproof: 1200 denier outer nylon is excellent at keeping rain and mud out so your horse stays dry and comfortable all day
- Moisture Wicking: Interior is fully lined with ShireTex, our advanced breathable fabric designed to reduce rubbing and attract excess moisture for faster sweat evaporation
- Mobility: Features deep shoulder gussets to provide extra freedom of movement
- Adjustable: Comes with quality leg strap loops, chest clips and cross surcingles, a large tail flap, and a bungee tail strap
#10 Best Style: TuffRider 1200D Ripstop 220 GMS Polyfill Horse Print Combo Neck Two Tone Pony Turnout Blanket
Your horse does not care about style and looks, but if you do, then you will love this stylish turnout blanket from TuffRider.
In addition to its attractive print, this turnout blanket features a combo neck and tail flap that will keep your buddy warm and comfortable.
Here are some other top features of the TuffRider 1200 D RipStop horse blanket:
- Adorable pattern; available in 6 sizes.
- 1200 D ripstop nylon construction
- 220g of polyfill for warmth.
- Removable and adjustable leg straps
- High stretchability
Benefits & Drawbacks of TuffRider 1200D Ripstop 220 GMS Polyfill Horse Print Combo Neck Two Tone Pony Turnout Blanket
|Attractive color||Higher price|
How it compares
TuffRider is a popular brand among us equestrians and I love their products. This blanket is very stylish, functional, and well-designed.
The 220g of polyfill will keep your horse warm and snug. Features like adjustable and removable leg straps and neck combo will keep your horse very comfortable as it rolls in the pastures.
What Other Horse Parents Say About TuffRider 1200D Ripstop Combo Neck Turnout Blanket
“Bought for new horse. Very light compared to a Rambo but still very warm”
Heres another option from TuffRider for your horse to consider. Check out the video review.
- Adorable alicorn print
- Combo neck
- RipStop fabric
- Stretchet- freedom of movement
- Adjustable/removable leg straps
Why Do Horses Need Turnout Sheets?
Most horses do not need turnout sheets if they have a thick coat. However, if a horse is clipped and lives outside in pastures where the temperatures drop below 40 F, then it will need a turnout sheet to keep it warm and dry. 
Horses that are sick, old, or nursing could also need turnout blankets or sheets.
Check out this video on how to blanket a horse.
What Should I Consider Before Buying Turnout Blankets For Horses?
1. Get the Right Size
Use a flexible tape measure to measure your horse from the center of its chest to the rear side of its hind leg.
Use the brand’s size measurements to select a size above the number you get.
2. Go for Durability
Select equine turnout blankets with a higher denier count . Counts above 1200 D means heavy strength durability.
For super-heavy strength, select a blanket of 2100 D.
3. Check the Filling
A good turnout blanket will protect your horse from freezing temperatures. Select one with 400g filling if the temperatures tend to fall under 40 F.
Also Check: The Cheap Horse Stable Blankets
Are all turnout blankets waterproof?
No, not all turnout blankets are waterproof. Some blankets need to be waterproofed after a few years with waterproofing treatment.
How long do turnout blankets last?
Good quality turnout blankets can last for 2-3 years with heavy use. The durability depends on the materials used in the blanket and its denier count.
If your horse spends a lot of time in the pastures in winters, is clipped, old, or sick, then you need a turnout blanket to keep it warm and dry.
Turnout blankets for horses also keep them clean and free from debris and mud.
Though there is a wide selection of turnout blankets, I recommend HORZE Nevada Medium Weight 1200D Waterproof Horse Turnout Blanket.
It is durable and extremely well-made. They are also warm and waterproof.
Their seamless and lightweight design will keep your horse very comfortable in wet and cold weather. Do check out my other recommendations too.
1. A Guide to Polyester, Nylon, & Polypropylene Fabric | Quality Logo Products® [Internet]. https://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/. [cited 2021 Dec 22]. Available from: https://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/promo-university/guide-to-materials.htm#:~:text=T%20stands%20for%20thread%20count
2. To Rug or Not to Rug? [Internet]. 2019. Available from: https://www.fei.org/stories/lifestyle/horse-human/horse-rug-or-not-rug
3. Pereira P. What is “denier”, and how do you know if a blanket denier is “good”? [Internet]. Horseware Ireland. 2019 [cited 2021 Dec 22]. Available from: https://shop.horseware.com/what-is-denier-and-how-do-you-know-if-a-blanket-denier-is-good/
What are your favorite turnout blankets for horses? Please let us know in the comments below!
Bryanna is a 23-year-old Florida-based Grade 1 Para-dressage rider based in Florida and she has been riding for 5 years. Horses are her passion and her ultimate goal is to be selected for the US Para-Equestrian Team and represent the US at the Paralympics. She rides at Quantum Leap Farm and Emerald M Therapeutic Riding Center and her equine partners are Shane, an American Paint Horse, and Cappy a Welsh x Thoroughbred. When she is not helping at the barn, riding, or training, she is learning about horses, writing articles about them, and using her social media platforms to raise awareness for therapeutic riding and para-equestrianism, shares her journey, and advocates for greater inclusion of para-equestrian in the media and equestrian sport at large.
Follow on INSTAGRAM and FACEBOOK
Read her Latest articles
Learn more about HER