Mustangs are some of the most beautiful animals in North America. These free-roaming horses in the American West, are known for their strength and spirit.
If you’re lucky enough to own a mustang, you’ll want to give them a great name!
ALSO CHECK: Italian Horse Names and Meanings
Top Mustang Names at a Glance
Are you an equestrian enthusiast looking for the perfect name for your new mustang horse ?
Whether you’re looking for a regal name befitting a champion racer or something more unique and individual, we’ve got the perfect list of names to get you started.
So check out our top mustang horse names and see which one is just right for your new four-legged friend!
|Mustang Horse Names For Mares (Female Horses)||Mustang Horse Names For Stallions (Male Horses)|
10 Famous Horse Names and What They Mean
Choosing from hundreds of different famous Mustang names is difficult, but the following names are what caught the Spanish Conquistadors within us!
- Ajax – One of the main horses that took part in the Trojan war.
- Arabella – “Answered Prayer” in Latin.
- Bock – Known as the dark horse that only appears during the spring.
- Bonita – “Pretty” in Spanish.
- Bolt – A translation of “fast,” “quick,” and “cunning!”
- Daisy – Mares that usually have long legs
- Hidalgo –A Spanish horse breed; which was also inspired by a movie.
- Lola – One of the best black Mustang names; it translates to “sorrows” in Spanish.
- Pablo – A Spanish expression that means “small.”
- Sunka Wakan – The horse that changed people’s “way of life.”
Check out this awesome video of cool mustang names.
@sunset..horses 𝚖𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚜 ⚡️ #fyp #foru #horses #mustangs #horsenames #forupage ♬ cake by the ocean – chillytunees
ALSO READ: Average Price of a Mustang
60 of the Best Mustang Horse Names
What’s in a name? For the mustang horse , quite a bit. These horses have strong warrior names like Thor and Pegasus or clever names like Snickerdoodle and CinnaBun.
Check out some of the best mustang horse names.
- Happy Trails
- Marco Polo
- Pepe Peso
- The Old Gray Mare
- Zack Attack
Don’t forget to also check some great names for a chestnut horse.
Check out this cool video about mustang horses.
85 Mustang Horse Names for Stallions
Have a strong stallion mustang, and you can’t think of a name that suits its overall physicality and appeal?
Here’s the list of the best male Mustang names!
- Dark Star
Check out this video of more mustang names.
@adriannaxy Names for mustangs! #horsesnames #foru #mustanghorse #montero #badass #equestrian #equine #virall #fypsounds #editaudio #xyxbca ♬ montero edit audio – Adrianna
96 Mustang Horse Names for Mares
Check out these beautiful names for your magnificent mustang mare.
- Paloma – one of the best Palomino horse names
- Sunka Wakan
- Wild Soul
Here is a video of beautiful mustang horses.
@ravenhorse1 #mustang #horses #love ♬ Pink Panther Intro – Henry Mancini
The Coolest Mustang Horse Names
This list combines famous Mustang horse names, black horse names, red Mustang names, and others!
- Luce Splendente
- Marie Antoinette
- Signora Fortuna
Check this video out for other inspiration names you can use for your beloved horses!
How Do You Choose the Name For Your Mustang?
Lisa Duncan of the Registrar at the American Saddlebred Registry says that finding a name is one of the most challenging parts.
“It’s difficult because everybody wants a unique name. A name that everyone will remember, and of course, one that fits the horse.”
1. Choosing a Name Based on Its History
According to her, the most common method would be to name it after the horse’s pedigree, like its dam’s or sire’s name –or both.
One example of a name is naming it after a day of the week.
If the dam or the sire’s name is named after one of the days of the week, then the mare could be named Thursday (for mares) and Friday (for stallions).
2. Choosing a Name Based on Its Physical Attributes
Furthermore, you can also pull the name out of the variety of colors and its other physical attributes.
For instance, if you have a beautiful horse with a beautiful mane, you can name it after a Greek God or Goddess like Hera, Athena, Persephone (for mares), Zeus, Poseidon, Apollo (for stallions).
3. Choosing a Name Based on Where You Purchased It
You can also name it after a memorable place like Alabama, Tennessee, Alaska, etc.
Keep it sweet, short, and simple.
Horse Name Requirements
You also need to consider the requirements of the American Saddlebred Registry:
- Must not contain numerical suffixes and prefixes
- Should not be longer than 35 characters (including spaces and punctuation marks)
- It must not conflict with the names of other registered horses, living or dead
- Repurposing names like adding “A,” “An,” or “The” is not allowed.
Now that you know about the list, here are some frequently asked questions about these best Mustang horse names.
Why Do They Call It Mustang Horse?
The term “Mustang” stems from the Spanish words “Mostrenco” and “Mestengo,” which means masterless cattle.
How Fast Do Mustangs Run?
Mustangs run anywhere around 40 to 48 km/h. However, there are special Mustangs that can run as fast as 88 km/h in a short distance.
Is a Mustang a Wild Horse?
No, they’re not really “wild Mustangs.” Their horse breeds came from a domesticated Spanish horses population to let you in on a bit of history.
The American Museum of Natural History (AMNH)  considers them federal creatures.
What Would You Name Your Mustang?
So, there you have it – a few of our favorite Mustang horse names. We hope you found this list helpful and that it gave you some ideas for naming your new equine friend.
Be sure to let us know which name was your favorite.
What are your favorite mustang horse names? Please share below!
- 1. Bradford A. Mustangs: Facts About America’s Wild Horses. Live Science. Published June 24, 2014. https://www.livescience.com/27686-mustangs.html
- 2. American Mustang. www.petmd.com. Accessed April 6, 2022. https://www.petmd.com/horse/breeds/c_hr_american_mustang
- 3. When Is “Wild” Actually “Feral”? [Internet]. Available from: https://www.amnh.org/explore/videos/biodiversity/wild-horse-mongolia/article-when-is-wild-actually-feral