Have you ever felt the thrill of horseback riding and thought, “I wish I had the perfect words to capture this moment,” as all riders have?
If so, grab your reigns! We’re about to trot through the best collection of inspirational quotes about horseback riding that’ll get your heart galloping.
I will guide you through a journey of quotes that will inspire, humor, and invoke deep equine thought!
Table of Contents
- Horses and humans have bonded for centuries, so we have quotes from equestrians that have appreciated horses many years before us.
- Horses are used in pop culture for movies, shows, and more. We have many quotes from celebrities who have found the beauty of horseback riding.
- Horseback riding can cause humor and laughter just as easily as it can inspire. Read the funny quotes about this sport below.
Historical Quotes about Horseback Riding
Let’s start our journey by looking back through the annals of history. Horseback riding has a long, storied past.
As we explore its history, it’s essential to address a commonly asked question: does riding horses hurt their backs?
While many factors come into play, including the weight of the rider, saddle fit, and the horse’s health, with proper care and attention, horseback riding can be a comfortable experience for both the horse and the rider.
Another fascinating aspect of horseback riding’s history is the evolution of the horse rider costume. Over the years, this has varied greatly, reflecting both the function and fashion of the times.
Many historical figures have immortalized their feelings for this sport in memorable quotes:
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” – Winston Churchill 
“A horse is a thing of beauty… none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.” – Xenophon
“The horse, with beauty unsurpassed, strength immeasurable and grace unlike any other, still remains humble enough to carry a man upon his back.” – Amber Senti
“In riding a horse, we borrow freedom.” – Helen Thomson
Inspirational Quotes about Horseback Riding
Next, let’s gallop into a collection of quotes designed to uplift and inspire. Just as riding can motivate and move us, so too can these words.
- “Horses are incredibly forgiving. They fill in places we’re not capable of filling ourselves.” – Pat Parelli
- “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Horse riding is a lot like nuts and bolts—if the rider’s nuts, the horse bolts!” – An anonymous, cheeky equestrian
- “You and your horse. His strength and beauty. Your knowledge and patience and determination and understanding and love. That’s what fuses the two of you into this marvelous team.” – Monica Dickens
- “Every time you ride, you’re either teaching or un-teaching your horse.” – Gordon Wright
- “The horse is God’s gift to mankind.” – Arabian Proverb
- “No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle.” – Winston Churchill 
- “Horses lend us the wings we lack.” – Unknown
- “If you climb into the saddle, be ready for the ride.” – Anonymous
- “One can get in a car and see what man has made. One must get on a horse to see what God has made.” – Anonymous
- “Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground.” – Anonymous
- “The horse moved like a dancer, which is not surprising. A horse is a beautiful animal, but he is perhaps most remarkable because he moves as if he always hears music.” – Mark Helprin
- “No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses.” – Herman Melville
- “To understand the soul of a horse is the closest human beings can come to knowing perfection.” – Unknown
Educational Quotes about Horseback Riding
Our journey takes a turn here, steering towards the educational aspect of horseback riding.
These quotes are more than just words—they are lessons from the hearts of experienced riders.
- “Riding a horse is not a skill to be acquired. It’s a dialogue to be had.” – Emily McDonald
- “The horse is a mirror to your soul…and sometimes you might not like what you see in the mirror.” – Buck Brannaman
- “A great horse will change your life. The truly special ones define it…” – Unknown
- “The essential joy of being with horses is that it brings us in contact with the rare elements of grace, beauty, spirit, and fire.” – Sharon Ralls Lemon
- “A canter is the cure for every evil.” – Benjamin Disraeli
Horseback Riding Quotes from Pop Culture
Pop culture has not remained immune to the charm of horses. This section is dedicated to the musings of writers, actors, and artists who have brought the essence of horseback riding to the limelight.
- “He saw very clearly how all his life led only to this moment and all after led to nowhere at all. He felt something cold and soulless enter him like another being and he imagined that it smiled malignly and he had no reason to believe that it would ever leave.” – Cormac McCarthy, “All the Pretty Horses”
- “Horses change lives. They give our young people confidence and self-esteem. They provide peace and tranquility to troubled souls. They give us hope!” – Toni Robinson
- “The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord.” – Proverbs 21:31
- “A horse is the projection of peoples’ dreams about themselves – strong, powerful, beautiful – and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence.” – Pam Brown
- “All horses deserve, at least once in their lives, to be loved by a little girl.” – Author Unknown
Personal Quotes from Famous Horse Riders
Let’s take a peek into the minds of professional riders.
These quotes shed light on personal experiences, lessons learned, and the bond between rider and horse from those who live and breathe this sport every day.
- “It’s really hard to beat someone who never gives up. And it’s really hard to beat a horse who never gives up.” – Beezie Madden
- “A horse doesn’t care how much you know until he knows how much you care. Put your hand on your horse and your heart in your hand.” – Pat Parelli
- “There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse.” – Robert Smith Surtees
- “I’d rather ride on a Mustang, than in one.” – Bailey Cook
- “The history of mankind is carried on the back of a horse.” – Unknown
Philosophical Quotes about Horseback Riding
The journey continues with a trot into the realm of the philosophical.
The bond between rider and horse often sparks deep contemplation, resulting in profound, thoughtful sayings.
- “The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse’s ears.” – Arabian Proverb
- “A horse is worth more than riches.” – Spanish Proverb
- “Wherever man has left his footprint in the long ascent from barbarism to civilization, we will find the hoofprint of a horse beside it.” – John Moore
- “I have seen things so beautiful they have brought tears to my eyes. Yet none of them can match the gracefulness and beauty of a horse running free.” – Unknown
- “I call horses ‘divine mirrors’ – they reflect back the emotions you put in. If you put in love and respect and kindness and curiosity, the horse will return that.” – Allan Hamilton
- “The horse. Here is nobility without conceit, friendship without envy, beauty without vanity. A willing servant, yet never a slave.” – Ronald Duncan
Humorous Quotes about Horseback Riding
Lastly, let’s rein in our journey with a touch of humor. After all, horseback riding isn’t all work and no play! Here are some quotes that capture the lighter side of our equestrian adventures.
- “In the steady gaze of the horse shines a silent eloquence that speaks of love and loyalty, strength and courage. It is the window that reveals to us how willing is his spirit, how generous his heart.” – Unknown
- “I’ve spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I’ve just wasted.” – Unknown
- “If your horse says no, you either asked the wrong question or asked the question wrong.” – Pat Parelli
- “Why did I choose this lifestyle? Because chasing a dream has a much better view than chasing the competition.” – Lainey Ashker
- “People say ‘horseback riding isn’t a sport,’ and I say ‘you do it then.'” – Unknown
- “I’d call my horse a ‘therapist’ but my therapist doesn’t like that.” – Unknown
- “You know you’re a horse person when… you start clucking to your car when you go up a hill.” – Unknown
- “Horses are like potato chips…you can’t have just one.” – Unknown
- “I do my own stunts (but never intentionally).” – Unknown
- “Why yes, I can do this with my eyes closed! Is it recommended? Probably not.” – Unknown
Why are there so many quotes about horses and horseback riding?
The bond between humans and horses is ancient and profound. These animals have served as companions, workers, and sources of inspiration throughout history. The vast array of quotes reflects the depth and complexity of this relationship.
Can horseback riding be truly encapsulated in words?
Words may never fully capture the exhilaration of a gallop or the silent understanding between rider and horse, but quotes provide a glimpse into the emotions and insights experienced by those who have embraced the equestrian lifestyle.
How can I use these quotes?
You can use these quotes to inspire yourself and others, to better understand your own horse riding experiences, or to articulate your passion for the sport. They could be shared on social media, added to a scrapbook, or simply reflected upon.
Who are the authors of these quotes?
These quotes come from a diverse range of people, including historical figures, renowned horse trainers, philosophers, authors, and anonymous sources, all of whom have shared a passion for horses and riding.
What is the most popular horseback riding quote?
One of the most popular and enduring quotes is from Winston Churchill: “There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” It beautifully captures the therapeutic and transformative power of horse riding.
As we close this chapter of our word trail, let’s tip our riding hats to the wisdom and wit of these quotes.
We’ve cantered through history, galloped across fields of inspiration, trotted down the lanes of education, and even hopped over a few fences in pop culture.
It’s clear as day—our bond with horses is beautifully ineffable, and yet, these quotes get astonishingly close to capturing the essence of it.
So, as you saddle up for your next ride, keep these words close to your heart.
You might even find your own words to describe this beautiful connection. If you think up your own quotes about horseback riding, tell me below!
Now, as I unsaddle my steed for the day, I leave you with this question:
Which quote resonates with your riding experience the most and why?
- 1. The Exceptional Parent, Vol. 43 Issue 3, p32, 3p
- 2. Martin, A. Healer, Reveal Thyself. Acad Psychiatry 46, 269–270 (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40596-021-01555-3