If you have someone in your life who loves horses, you’re likely looking for the best horse riding gift ideas to surprise them.
But it isn’t easy to find the perfect present, especially for a horse owner that has collected tons of stuff over the years.
Fortunately, I’m here to help you with 20 unique equestrian gift ideas that I would be overjoyed to receive as a seasoned equestrian.
Just keep reading.
Table of Contents
- Jewelry, custom art, horse-themed clothes, and personalized gifts are among the best gifts for horse lovers.
- Many horse owners enjoy practical gifts, such as saddle pads, brushes, horse toys, etc.
- Always consider the person’s taste and preferences when choosing the best horse riding gift.
15 Creative Horse Riding Gift Ideas for Horse Owners
Before jumping into buying any of these amazing equestrian gifts, I’d like to give you a piece of valuable advice to avoid getting your gift returned.
When gift shopping for friends, I used to buy things that I would like. But this strategy didn’t work well because some of my friends had different preferences.
So, don’t think about what you like. Instead, focus on your friend’s taste – what colors they like, what horses they have, and whether they like useful or decorative objects.
It will help you pick the best option from these thoughtful gifts for a horse owner or horse enthusiast.
#1 Horse-Themed Jewelry
Horse-themed bracelets, necklaces, and other jewelry are the perfect gifts for women that love horses and want to make an elegant statement. Here are some of my favorite horse-theme jewelry:
- Animal Lovers’ Horse Charm Bracelets. It’s available in a wide range of stone color options, and you can customize it by adding a letter. It’s also cheap, cute, and well-made.
- Solid Gold Horse Necklace. This beautiful horse pendant is an excellent gift for horse riders and enthusiasts because it’s stylish, elegant, and high-quality.
- Personalized Horse birthstone necklace. It’s a great gift because you can customize the stone to match your friend’s birthday. And it’s not too fancy, so it’s suitable for everyday wear.
#2 Custom Horse Portraits
A custom horse portrait is a great personalized gift for horse lovers. It’s a beautiful piece of art that can capture the character and soul of the horse while livening up the house.
I love equestrian prints because they are a way to reminisce about the good times with your favorite steed. And they make a great conversation starter.
Moreover, portraits and canvas prints come in a wide range of styles and sizes to match your budget. Just make sure you give the artist enough time to finish the portrait.
#3 Paint-By-Number Horse Painting
If your friend has an artistic streak, they’ll be thrilled to have the opportunity to paint this stunning horse canvas by themselves.
I love paint-by-number kits because painting relaxes me after a hard day. And according to studies, painting has many benefits for the body. (1)
These wind chimes are a wonderful gift for horse lovers, adding elegance and style to any porch or outdoor garden.
They’re also a great indoor decoration, so your equestrian friend can enjoy the peaceful tones while relaxing after riding.
Wine glasses make fun horse gifts for any horse trainer or rider who enjoys a drink after a long day at the barn. And they’re bound to make other equestrians green with envy.
#6 Horse-Themed Clothing
Equestrian-inspired clothing is a thoughtful gift idea for horse owners who want to show their passion for horses all year long. Here are my top horse-theme picks:
- Horse Long Sleeve Shirt. It’s available in various sizes and colors, making it perfect for women, men, or children.
- Horse And Owner Personalised Socks. Horseback riders will love these socks that keep feet warm, whether you wear them in the house or with your favorite pair of riding boots.
- Horse Is Calling Horse Lover Shirt. This funny equestrian T-shirt will bring a smile to your friend’s face and make them the talk of the town.
#7 Books About Horses
And if your equestrian friend loves fantasy, I highly recommend The Last Unicorn by Peter Beagle.
#8 Custom Horse Brush
Every horse lover needs grooming tools to take care of their favorite horse. So, why don’t you surprise your friend with a custom horse brush?
They will love the engraving design because it’s made with laser and won’t rub off! Moreover, such dandy brushes are handy for removing heavy mud and dirt.
But be careful. Specialists from EQUUS advise, “You don’t want a brush that’s coarser than you need because some thin-skinned or sensitive horses can really object to a very hard brush.” (2)
Saddle pads are one of the most important parts of tack. According to a study, saddle pads are vital for distributing pressure on the horse’s back and keeping them comfortable when working. (3)
And WB Prime Ombre saddle pad is available in several stunning colors and is breathable to keep the animal dry, making it a perfect gift for horse owners.
A blanket is necessary for keeping the equine warm in cold weather. So, if you want to gift your favorite equestrian something useful, a blanket is an excellent idea.
I highly recommend the Gatsy Heavyweight blanket because it’s well-insulated, easy to maintain, and available in several sizes and colors.
However, you must measure the horse to find the perfect size. Check this video to see how.
#11 Riding Boots
A pair of boots is bound to appeal to any horse owner, especially boots that are durable, versatile, and comfortable.
If you’re on a budget, you can still surprise your friend by buying a toy for their horse. My animals love this interactive ball feeder, and it’s handy in relieving boredom and stress in stable horses.
Do you know how hard it is to find a safe place for your phone when riding? You never know when it’ll fall off your pocket!
So, I love these cute saddlebags that you can personalize with a name. It makes it so much easier to go riding without worrying about my possessions.
If you’re looking for a great inexpensive horse riding gift idea, you can get a personalized nameplate for stalls.
Your friend will be touched by this thoughtful gift and have a great conversation starter when visitors come!
#15 Gift Certificate
Finally, if you still don’t know what to get your equestrian friend, a gift certificate from an online equestrian store is your best option. I recommend StateLineTack’s gift certificate.
You can choose an option from $5 to $500, and StateLineTack has plenty of stuff, from horse treats to saddles and tack.
1. What to get a woman that loves horses?
You can find plenty of horse-theme jewelry, clothing, and riding boots, perfect for women that love horses.
2. How can I surprise someone with a horse?
You can surprise someone with a horse by buying something practical, such as grooming tools or a customized gift.
3. What is the best thing to give a horse?
If you want to surprise a horse, something tasty to eat is the best gift. Choose a healthy treat, such as peppermints, apples, or pumpkins.
So, what are the best horse riding gift ideas? The best present for a horse lover is something personalized that appeals to your friend’s taste or is useful in their daily lives.
And you don’t have to spend a fortune to make a horse lover happy. Even something as small as a personalized nameplate will bring joy to anyone that loves horses.
What do you think about these 15 horse-riding gift ideas? Which one is your favorite? Share your thoughts in the comment section.
1. Hu J, Zhang J, Hu L, Yu H, Xu J. Art Therapy: A Complementary Treatment for Mental Disorders. Frontiers in Psychology [Internet]. 2021;12:686005. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8397377/
2. Barakat C. A Brush Buyer’s Guide [Internet]. Equus Magazine. 2020 [cited 2023 Sep 7]. Available from: https://equusmagazine.com/horse-care/brush-buyers-guide-28775/
3. KOTSCHWAR AB, BALTACIS A, PEHAM C. The effects of different saddle pads on forces and pressure distribution beneath a fitting saddle. Equine Veterinary Journal. 2010;42:114–8.
Bryanna is a 23-year-old Florida-based Grade 1 Para-dressage rider based in Florida and she has been riding for 5 years. Horses are her passion and her ultimate goal is to be selected for the US Para-Equestrian Team and represent the US at the Paralympics. She rides at Quantum Leap Farm and Emerald M Therapeutic Riding Center and her equine partners are Shane, an American Paint Horse, and Cappy a Welsh x Thoroughbred. When she is not helping at the barn, riding, or training, she is learning about horses, writing articles about them, and using her social media platforms to raise awareness for therapeutic riding and para-equestrianism, shares her journey, and advocates for greater inclusion of para-equestrian in the media and equestrian sport at large.
Follow on INSTAGRAM and FACEBOOK
Read her Latest articles
Learn more about HER