Despite horses being warm animals, a stable sheet is ideal for cold winter seasons to stay comfortable inside the barn at night.
Additionally, a stable sheet can prevent them from getting dirty the night before the event to provide comfort.
After extensive research, these are my top picks for the best stable sheets for horses, along with reviews.
Stable Sheet for Horses Top Picks at a Glance
This post contains affiliate links, and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.
- Winner: Challenger Store Light Winter Stable Sheet
- Best Overall: AMIGO Horseware Ireland Stable Sheet with Moisture-Management Technology
- Best Budget: Tough-1 Closed Front Stable Sheet
- Best Anti-Slip Stable Sheet: HORZE Glasgow Stable Sheet
- Best Cooling Stable Sheet – TGW Anti-Sweat Cooling Stable Sheets
Don’t have time? Here is a quick comparison of our favorites!
7 Best Stable Sheets for Horses (Equestrian Review)
1) Winner: Challenger Store Light Winter Stable Sheet
My vet recommended challenger stable sheets for our clipped working horses.  I trust his advice blindly, so I buy these in bulk.
Now, I admit that this sheet isn’t exactly the cheapest one on this list, but I did not want to compromise my horses’ health.
I especially needed a stable sheet for our older Thoroughbred as Vermont winters get pretty chilly even though he remains stabled almost all the time.
I am glad we listened to our vet because Challenger stable sheets exceeded my expectations. I particularly appreciate the following features in these sheets:
First: It has a fleece lining. My old thoroughbred was grateful for it. I could see he immediately stopped shivering when we put this on him.
Secondly, this blanket is not heavy-weight. There is no polyfill inside it, perfect for barn use. Also, in peak winters, it is ideal for layering.
Thirdly, Challenger Store products are highly reputed, and if you’re an equestrian, I am sure you have heard of them. They come with double reinforced stitching at the seams, making them long-lasting.
Add to this the fact that their nylon-fleece material has a thread count of 420 D (Denier), plus it is ripstop. Ripstop fabrics last longer since a rip or tear will remain localized and not spread or worsen.
To gain more information about Denier count and how it impacts a stable sheet/fabric’s durability, please click this link. 
A few of my horses happen to be chewers, but they could not rip or chew through Challenger stable sheets.
I loved their adjustability features like under-the-belly surcingles, front buckles, etc., which ensure that the sheets remain on the horse.
Here are some other features in these stable sheets that I am sure you and your horses will love:
- Double front buckles.
- Available in 3 sizes.
- Reinforced stitching without a central seam.
- Features a tail flap.
Benefits & Drawbacks of Challenger Store Light Winter Stable Sheet
|Adjustable||No other choice in colors|
How it Compares
Several brands are making cheaper stable sheets for horses. However, price should not be your primary concern if you want quality and durability.
Challenger sheets may cost about $20 more than the budget entry below, but this is an excellent choice if you don’t want to keep buying sheets every year.
Learn More: What is Stable Sheet Used for?
#2. Best Overall: AMIGO Horseware Ireland Stable Sheet with Moisture-Management Technology
AMIGO is another reliable brand that makes some great horse blankets and sheets.
When I traveled with my horse Tucker for the clinic, I saw several horses wearing these attractive sheets. They have the Amigo Horseware Ireland logo proudly displayed on their chest buckles.
Upon inquiry, a horse owner told me that she used these versatile sheets as cooling rugs, stable sheets, and travel blankets. They did not overheat her horse, nor did they cause sweating.
Customers on Amazon remarked that this sheet fits well and is of good quality.
Watch this video for some more tips on keeping horses healthy during travel.
Check out some of Amigo Horseware Ireland stable sheets features:
- Round neck style.
- Sturdy ripstop, ring spun brushed polyester fabric having moisture management technology.
- Rust-resistant buckles on the chest with Amigo Horseware Ireland logo displayed.
- Under-the-belly cross belts for firmly securing the sheet.
- Attractive black-n-teal color.
- Size 75.
Benefits & Drawbacks of AMIGO Horseware Ireland Stable Sheet with Moisture-Management Technology
|Stylish, attractive color.||Lack of color and size options.|
How it Compares
Price-wise, Amigo Horseware sheets cost about $50 more than the winning entry above.
However, remember that you will be paying for quality. Its ring-spun brushed polyester fabric is sturdy and durable, and the classic cut design will easily fit most horses.
Size 75 will fit a horse between 16 and 17 hh.
3) Best Budget: Tough-1 Closed Front Stable Sheet
My daughter chose Tough-1’s stable sheet for her horse, Daisy. She loved its shoulder gussets that allowed Daisy to move freely.
- The fabric comprises double-sewn sturdy nylon material with reinforced stitching at the seams.
- No bulky hardware.
- Available in 4 colors and six sizes.
Benefits & Drawbacks of Tough-1 Closed Front Stable Sheet
|Affordable price||It is a pull-over sheet without buckles and hardware.|
|Easy to clean.|
|Lightweight and has attractive colors|
|Sturdy and well-made.|
How it Compares
An Amazon customer remarked about Tough-1, contending that it is true to size and easy to use and clean.
Often, you want a sheet for layering or keeping bathed horses clean. For this, you don’t want an overly expensive or heavy stable sheet.
These stable horse sheets from Tough-1 are perfect in this regard. They are sturdy, durable, and easy to adjust over any horse.
Since its lightweight construction will not weigh down your bathed horse, you can even use it to maintain its polish before a show.
- 420 denier poly - Light Material Strength-Not Recommended for horses that bite, chew or rub on blankets or for horses turned out with a companion or in a group. Material may tear or rip if caught on a nail, rough fencing or thorns from bushes.
- Heavy Nylon Binding - Double sewn to secure material and provide additional durability.
- Reinforced Stress Points - Double Sewn with additional reinforcement to help prevent tears.
- Closed Front - Reinforced with nylon creates a smooth front without bulky hardware.
- Action Shoulder Gussets - Allow for freedom of movement and help to prevent shoulder rubbing.
Check: Best Show Sheets for Horses
4) Best Anti-Slip Stable Sheet: HORZE Glasgow Stable Sheet
Your horse will look dapper in this fitting innovative Glasgow Stable Sheet from America’s beloved equestrian brand – HORZE. I don’t think there is any equestrian that hasn’t used HORZE products.
You will love these sheets – they are lightweight, versatile, and come with several adjustments that ensure a snug fit.
- Made with lightweight, breathable ripstop fabric.
- Contain 100g fill for warmth on frigid days.
- Hardware includes two sturdy, rust-resistant buckles at the chest and under-the-belly cross surcingles for securing the sheet.
- They are lined with soft faux fur at the shoulders.
- Available in 4 sizes.
Benefits & Drawbacks of HORZE Glasgow Stable Sheet
|Sturdy and long-lasting.||There are no leg straps which could cause the horses to remove them quickly.|
|It can be customized through embroidering over it.|
|Soft padding at withers prevents chafing.|
How it Compares
As far as the price is concerned, the HORZE Glasgow stable sheet costs about $10 more than the winning entry.
They’re stylish and well made, Most users had no issues with the sizing, but a few owners noticed that they did not stay put.
These sheets are versatile enough for layering with other blankets in peak winters.
- ✅ Lightweight Stable Blanket - This stable blanket made of lightweight, breathable fabric and durable ripstop material with 100g of fill for warmth is great on chilly days.
- ✅ Secure Fit - Two buckle closures at the front combined with the cross surcingles underneath the belly will keep this blanket snugly on your horse!
- ✅ Versatile Uses - This lightweight blanket can be used by itself or combined with a turnout blanket (not included), whichever is more comfortable for your horse.
- ✅ No Slipping or Chafing - The shoulder and neck are designed to fit closely to prevent slipping and rubbing. Soft faux fur at the withers makes it even more comfortable.
- ✅ Attractive Style - Sleek, subtle colors and neat trim, plus a Horze logo in the rear make this turnout blanket stand out. Also ideal for embroidery if you want a customized look.
5) Best Cooling Stable Sheet – TGW Anti-Sweat Cooling Stable Sheets
In summers, we turn our horses out in the pasture, and before they come back in, we cover them with cooling sheets.
Cooling sheets encourage moisture wicking so that horses dry faster after exercise. You can also use them in the winter months after heavy training.
TGW cooling stable sheets are lightweight and well-made. You can also toss them in the washing machine, so they get clean very quickly.
Customers remarked that this lightweight cooler could be washed in a machine and uses suitable materials.
- It is made with polar fleece.
- Elastic sides.
- Front buckles and under-the-belly cross surcingles.
- Available in 5 colors and two sizes.
Benefits & Drawbacks of TGW Anti-Sweat Cooling Stable Sheets
|Affordable.||Lack of size options.|
|Lightweight and breathable.|
|Great for layering.|
How it Compares
For under $30, this polar fleece sheet is well-made and ideal for use all year round. It is sturdy and machine washable too.
Being light won’t weigh your horse down.
You can use TGW sheets for layering your horse in bitterly cold weather.
- TGW RIDING horse fleece sheet,A functional Sweat Sheet made of breathable and elastic Jersey material.
- Horse Back Line:155cm-XL Size
- Horse Back Line:145cm-L Size
- Horse Black Line:135cm-M Size
6) Best Premium: Horseware Rambo Ionic Stable Sheet
If you don’t mind spending a little bit more, this Ionic stable sheet from Horseware is a fantastic choice. It is made of spun polyester and versatile enough to use indoors and outdoors.
The sheet’s inner side is treated with tourmaline crystals that release negative ions and improve horse blood flow.
- Moisture-wicking, ring-spun polyester construction.
- Double front closures and surcingles with rope straps on the rear end.
Benefits & Drawbacks of Horseware Rambo Ionic Stable Sheet
How it Compares
Cost-wise, this Ionic stable sheet from Horseware is almost $150 more than my winning entry above.
However, it may be a worthwhile investment if you frequently attend clinics or shows. It is versatile and can be used inside and outside the stable.
Many of my friends use these stable ionic sheets before shows and events to reduce lactic acid buildup in their horse’s bones post-exercise.
- Highly wicking and durable fabric
- Can be used while travelling, in the stable and before and after exercise
- Double front closures, cross surcingles and fillet string
- Ring spun polyester with moisture management technology
7) Best Quarter Horse Stable Sheet – Western Rawhide & Harness Barn Sheet
Quarter horses  have broader chests and rounded hindquarters. This unique shape needs particular horse stable sheets which can adhere to their contoured silhouettes.
Western Rawhide & Harness Company has been around for seven decades and is a trustworthy company known for excellent horse tack. They have designed this barn sheet just for quarter horses.
- 420 denier, waterproof and breathable nylon shell; fleece lining at the withers.
- Adequate closure buckles on the neck and belly area.
- Neck lining for preventing sheet from slipping.
- Available in 4 sizes and three colors.
Benefits & Drawbacks of Western Rawhide & Harness Barn Sheet
|Durable and waterproof||Closures are Velcro, the possibility of losing their stickiness over time|
|Stylish and fits well|
|Fleece at withers prevents chafing|
|Affordable and breathable|
How it Compares
I am confident most quarter horse owners will love these sheets. The stable sheets available in the market are often made for draft breeds.
Western Rawhide and Harness sheet has designed this barn sheet with quarter horses in mind, so sizing should not be an issue. The price is affordable.
Brush the Velcro with a toothbrush to revitalize its stickiness.
- Features "silhouette' contoured Quarter Horse Cut
- 420 denier nylon shell
- Fleece protection at wither
Things To Consider Before Buying Horse Stable Sheets
Before buying a stable sheet, the first thing to consider is your horse’s size. When measuring your horse, use the following steps:
- Make sure it is standing on level ground.
- Place the tape measure in the centre of its chest and draw it tautly across its body to its rear end to the midpoint of its buttock.
- If you come up with an odd number, buy one size up.
For horses measuring 12 to 13 hh, size 64 generally fits well. For horses measuring 18 hh, an 84-size is ideal.
A stable sheet or night sheet need not have a filling – it should ideally be made of polyester, light fleece, or nylon. These materials are waterproof and breathable as well.
This is necessary to prevent a stabled horse from overheating or sweating too much underneath the sheet.
It is vital to ensure that the material won’t rub your horse’s skin raw, especially at the withers—select sheets with a soft fleece lining to prevent chafing at the shoulders.
Finally, look for sheets with at least 420 D denier count.
The sheets should be able to withstand rough handling and roll.
If you need more information about using a stable sheet, watch this video.
What Type of Blanket Does My Horse Need?
For temperatures below 40 F, use warm, heavy weight winter horse blankets containing polyfill. You can also layer your horse with multiple sheets on icy days.
Use cotton or synthetic moisture-wicking fabric horse cooling sheet for hot summer days. This will prevent a stabled horse from breaking into a sweat.
For protecting your horse from dust, flies, and gnats, and not warming it too much, use a linen-based day sheet.
For quick drying after a bath or post-workout, use a cooler.
What is the difference between a horse blanket and a sheet?
Horse blankets have poly filling inside them for warmth, whereas sheets do not have polyfill.
Not every horse needs a stable sheet.  In general, clipped, old, or sick horses may need one when inside the barn in peak winters.
The best horse stable sheets are lightweight, waterproof, breathable, and moisture-wicking as they are comfortable and provide protection.
I recommend the Challenger Stable Sheets as they are sturdy, well-made, perfect for layering, and affordable.
- 1. Admin L. Your Horse Blanketing Questions Answered – SRH Veterinary Services [Internet]. [cited 2022 Jan 21]. Available from: https://srhveterinary.com/2017/12/27/your-horse-blanketing-questions-answered/
- 2. About Denier [Internet]. Standard Fiber. [cited 2022 Jan 21]. Available from: https://standardfiber.com/about-denier
- 3. American Quarter Horse | breed of horse | Britannica [Internet]. Encyclopædia Britannica. 2019. Available from: https://www.britannica.com/animal/American-Quarter-Horse
- 4. Horse Blanketing Guide [Internet]. www.valleyvet.com. [cited 2022 Jan 21]. Available from: https://www.valleyvet.com/library/horse-blanketing-basics.html
What are your favorite stable sheets for horses? Let us know below!
Bryanna is a 23-year-old Florida-based Grade 1 Para-dressage rider based in Florida and she has been riding for 5 years. Horses are her passion and her ultimate goal is to be selected for the US Para-Equestrian Team and represent the US at the Paralympics. She rides at Quantum Leap Farm and Emerald M Therapeutic Riding Center and her equine partners are Shane, an American Paint Horse, and Cappy a Welsh x Thoroughbred. When she is not helping at the barn, riding, or training, she is learning about horses, writing articles about them, and using her social media platforms to raise awareness for therapeutic riding and para-equestrianism, shares her journey, and advocates for greater inclusion of para-equestrian in the media and equestrian sport at large.
Follow on INSTAGRAM and FACEBOOK
Read her Latest articles
Learn more about HER